Who do you want to see in the Super Bowl?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yay! 49ers lost, er... I mean, Chiefs won!
My only regret is that if we were in it would Carlson have made any of those FGs over 50? Ironic that 2 years ago the Niners get past us with a blocked FG and a blocked punt. This time THEY had a costly blocked PAT. They overcame the blocked FG against us 3 weeks ago. Not good enough to do it when it came to KC. However, the win was there for the taking. KC stopped McCaffrey at the most crucial moment. We could not.

Reaction score
My only regret is that if we were in it would Carlson have made any of those FGs over 50? Ironic that 2 years ago the Niners get past us with a blocked FG and a blocked punt. This time THEY had a costly blocked PAT. They overcame the blocked FG against us 3 weeks ago. Not good enough to do it when it came to KC. However, the win was there for the taking. KC stopped McCaffrey at the most crucial moment. We could not.
@milani it goes to show you how far we’ve come. There was a time the 49ers beat up on us with Rodgers at the helm. Then in more recent seasons, we got back to a “slugfest” with them. NOW Rodgers is gone and we’re still toe to toe with the best team in the NFC.

Reaction score
I wanted to share something my wife told me this morning that brought me some peace.
After the game Mahomes Mom and family were congratulating him on his 3 SB’s. She was strictly reminding him not to go get a “big head”. Mom said “that’s NOT how we raised you” I don’t think it was a scolding it was more a reminder because I think she knows how this worlds’ false promises of peace will ALWAYS leave us empty. Spoken like a good Mama Bear she knows his peace comes from Jesus Christ. His Cousin told my wife that Pat is still very spiritual and loves the Lord.
For myself. I can do without the pomp and circumstance. That’s the real SB Winner for me this morning.

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanted to share something my wife told me this morning that brought me some peace.
After the game Mahomes Mom and family were congratulating him on his 3 SB’s. She was strictly reminding him not to go get a “big head”. Mom said “that’s NOT how we raised you” I don’t think it was a scolding it was more a reminder because I think she knows how this worlds’ false promises of peace will ALWAYS leave us empty. Spoken like a good Mama Bear she knows his peace comes from Jesus Christ. His Cousin told my wife that Pat is still very spiritual and loves the Lord.
For myself. I can do without the pomp and circumstance. That’s the real SB Winner for me this morning.

Amen!

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was impressed by the kickers on the two teams. Wasn't every kickoff a touchback? Sure seemed like it.

The Chiefs now have four Super Bowls, same as we do. I wonder how many people would have thought that we would be tied with four Super Bowls apiece someday, back in that first NFL Championship Game?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hubris has been the downfall of many throughout history. In other words do not let it go to your head.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you assume we would have needed to kick them. As long as we are dreaming I'm thinking Love would have had 5 TD passes. Now if Carlson would have made the extra points...? Heck as long as we are dreaming I'll say he would have made 3 of them.

AND we beat the Chiefs too, earlier in the season. Anyway, we're up and comers. Now we just need to make the right offseason moves.
Lots of teams beat the Chiefs earlier in the season. Don't bet against the Chiefs in the playoffs.

Reaction score
I was impressed by the kickers on the two teams. Wasn't every kickoff a touchback? Sure seemed like it.

The Chiefs now have four Super Bowls, same as we do. I wonder how many people would have thought that we would be tied with four Super Bowls apiece someday, back in that first NFL Championship Game?

I swear several Kickoffs went through the uprights or close to it outside the Endzone. I was envious, like why can’t we get a Kicker that can boot it through the Paint. That 57 yarder last night was good from 62+ imo.

Right now I’m not 10% as worried about an opponent bringing a Kick out from their 1 yardline (Crosby) as I am about is missing points on the board (Carlson). My bigger concern is we don’t need to go into the playoffs again while wearing training wheels on our Kicker. I like Rich but he has to understand points are at a premium. Carlson should 100% have a Kicker competition and it’s nothing personal. I hope Carlson finishes at 100% I have nothing against the kid but we don’t have 3 years to ramp him up. We need him at a high level now or I’d go spend a 7th etc. on good competition. Put him on PS for a year if he Doesn’t win the job in Camp/Preseason. We need results

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hubris has been the downfall of many throughout history. In other words do not let it go to your head.
i saw Mahomes talking about how the dynasty is just beginning. In some ways I admire his hubris, but you never know what the future holds. Dynasties don't come easily, I've been waiting for another one since the '60s. Don't count your chickens before they're hatched, pride goes before a fall, etc. On the other hand, it makes me wonder if the Patriots' ridiculous run has set a new standard that the Chiefs will try to live up to.

Lots of teams beat the Chiefs earlier in the season. Don't bet against the Chiefs in the playoffs.
Sure. But it doesn't hurt the confidence any to have a win against the Super Bowl champs, shows you can play with them, at least. Besides, it's a balm for any disappointments the season had (although it was mostly positives).

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I swear several Kickoffs went through the uprights or close to it outside the Endzone. I was envious, like why can’t we get a Kicker that can boot it through the Paint. That was supposed to be the trade off with Carlson. He was suppose to have the long leg at the sacrifice of some accuracy, but right now I’m not seeing a high degree of either.
I don't understand why it is so difficult to find a kicker. Especially since teams don't seem to value them that much. I remember people were having fits when the Packers used a draft pick on Crosby. I wouldn't want the job though.

Reaction score
I don't understand why it is so difficult to find a kicker. Especially since teams don't seem to value them that much. I remember people were having fits when the Packers used a draft pick on Crosby. I wouldn't want the job though.
Imo, I’d spend a late 7th if we see someone worthy at K if that’s what it takes to get 1 good Kicker so be it.
Trade the other Kicker for a player or future 7th or stash him for a year on PS
As long as we’re not going into the postseason with training wheels that’s what I’d be very concerned with. Worse case Carlson wins the job and we dump Kicker2 in 2025

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, how do most people see kickers? This clip from the past might give everyone a pretty good idea.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Reaction score
So, how do most people see kickers? This clip from the past might give everyone a pretty good idea.

But can he plaster that Cushion against the Wall?! Keeek!
He reminded me of Squiggy From Happy Days

loved Klugman in QUINCY M.E.!! That was a favorite show for me as a kid (after the more popular Odd Couple). Thanks I'm going to rerun those episodes my lovely young wife loves the old timey shows (I love Lucy etc)

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dynasties don't come easily, I've been waiting for another one since the '60s.
Obviously, defining 'dynasties' is tricky (and I'm not sure when you say you've been waiting if you mean just for another Packer streak). Certainly, some combination of X wins over Y years.

The Pack's 5 for 7 championships in the '60s is obviously the best. But, the Steelers were 4/6, the 49ers 5/13, and KC is now 3/5. Even the 'Boys were 5/24 (more impressively, 3/4). Heck, the Pats won six, but it took them 17 years.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously, defining 'dynasties' is tricky (and I'm not sure when you say you've been waiting if you mean just for another Packer streak). Certainly, some combination of X wins over Y years.
However you define dynasty, it's clear we haven't had one since the '60s. Unless you have a very broad definition of "dynasty". That's not so bad really, dynasties are rare. But it would still be nice to see one in GB again. I remember the Lombardi run, but I was probably too young to really appreciate it.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I swear several Kickoffs went through the uprights or close to it outside the Endzone. I was envious, like why can’t we get a Kicker that can boot it through the Paint. That 57 yarder last night was good from 62+ imo.

Right now I’m not 10% as worried about an opponent bringing a Kick out from their 1 yardline (Crosby) as I am about is missing points on the board (Carlson). My bigger concern is we don’t need to go into the playoffs again while wearing training wheels on our Kicker. I like Rich but he has to understand points are at a premium. Carlson should 100% have a Kicker competition and it’s nothing personal. I hope Carlson finishes at 100% I have nothing against the kid but we don’t have 3 years to ramp him up. We need him at a high level now or I’d go spend a 7th etc. on good competition. Put him on PS for a year if he Doesn’t win the job in Camp/Preseason. We need results
Making a 57 yarder may seem to be still quite special and lower %. However, missing from 41 and missing a few too many PATs in this day and age will not cut it.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As soon as you win 3 championships in a period of roughly 5 years, they're crowning your team as having a dynasty. There's no set number of wins, over any specific period of time, it's just that you're winning the majority of them in a brief period.

The real, great dynasty title belongs to John Wooden's UCLA basketball teams, who won everything in sight for a number of years, and the New York Yankees, that dominated baseball for decades. The rest are peanuts by comparison, but still not as large in significance.

But, since there are no specific requirements, at this time, the Houston Astros baseball team has been a dynasty within their own division in baseball, because they finish at the top of it so consistently.

In the NFL, the one true dynasty was the Packers of the 60s. The rest are fine within their own right, but the Packers feat sits up there with the UCLA and Yankee feats.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As soon as you win 3 championships in a period of roughly 5 years, they're crowning your team as having a dynasty. There's no set number of wins, over any specific period of time, it's just that you're winning the majority of them in a brief period.
That sounds fair to me. Wins don't matter, only championships. I would certainly say three championships in five years is a dynasty. I'd even be okay with calling two straight championships a mini-dynasty.

Lombardi's Packers five championships in seven years has not been matched, before or since. I was afraid the Belichick Patriots might do it, but thankfully they didn't. They did end up with six championships, but over a much longer period of time.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The real, great dynasty title belongs to John Wooden's UCLA basketball teams, who won everything in sight for a number of years, and the New York Yankees, that dominated baseball for decades. The rest are peanuts by comparison, but still not as large in significance.

But, since there are no specific requirements, at this time, the Houston Astros baseball team has been a dynasty within their own division in baseball, because they finish at the top of it so consistently.

In the NFL, the one true dynasty was the Packers of the 60s. The rest are fine within their own right, but the Packers feat sits up there with the UCLA and Yankee feats.
And throw in the Boston Celtics in the Russell, Auerbach era. Although the NBA then did not have very many teams.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And throw in the Boston Celtics in the Russell, Auerbach era. Although the NBA then did not have very many teams.
Excellent point. I forgot about the Celtics in the NBA. Agreed on the number of teams being less, but that meant an even better rookie crop each year coming out. Back in those days, it was difficult making a team. Now, if they get drafted, they stick for at least a few years. Of course there were fewer blue chippers in those days compared to now, and guys from outside the US who made it into the league were pretty much non-existent.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Didn't the Braves win their division like 11 times in a row before the recent re-alignment?
I never figured why people use this as an excuse as every team could've had the same stacked roster if teams were so few.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excellent point. I forgot about the Celtics in the NBA.
What was it about the '60s that spawned so many dynasties? And big dynasties, not just small ones. Packers, Celtics, UCLA. Even Jack Nicklaus was tearing it up.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excellent point. I forgot about the Celtics in the NBA. Agreed on the number of teams being less, but that meant an even better rookie crop each year coming out. Back in those days, it was difficult making a team. Now, if they get drafted, they stick for at least a few years. Of course there were fewer blue chippers in those days compared to now, and guys from outside the US who made it into the league were pretty much non-existent.
In my opinion Bill Russell was the greatest defensive player of the 20th century NBA. And he did it before the 3 point shot and on a team that always ran a fast break offense. You had to be in shape to go up and down the floor at both ends all the time.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What was it about the '60s that spawned so many dynasties? And big dynasties, not just small ones. Packers, Celtics, UCLA. Even Jack Nicklaus was tearing it up.
Even Ali had success up until his suspension and sentence.

Members online

Latest posts