Anyone watching the UFL?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Was just doing some channel surfing and noticed the Memphis Showboats taking on the St. Louis Battle Hawks. 33,000 fans in the stadium, so not a bad crowd. Kind of fun to watch old NFL players and names I recognize. Also, interesting to see some of the rules that differ from the NFL. Loving the Pass Interference rule. If it doesn't look intentional, its a 15 yard penalty. If it looks intentional, a spot foul.

Guessing that NFL GM's are keeping an eye on these games, maybe find a player before the draft.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I like some of their more common sense rules. QB tiptoeing the sideline can get leveled if he steps out just before getting hit. Something about going forward as opposed to deliberately going OOB. Also no XP kicks. Go for 1,2, or 3 based on where the ball is spotted. Also one challenge per game of any play for a foul.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I like some of their more common sense rules. QB tiptoeing the sideline can get leveled if he steps out just before getting hit.
Yup. I was watching a game yesterday and the QB got leveled on the sideline. Not a penalty because he was traveling N--->S, as opposed to E---> W. Basically, he was still trying to still gain yards and the defender should not have been penalized for knowing if his feet were inbounds or out.

Also one challenge per game of any play for a foul.

While I agree that a coach should be able to challenge anything, I don't agree with limiting it to just 1 challenge per game. What I would like to see is that you can use a timeout for a challenge (3 per half). If you are out of timeouts, you cannot challenge. However, if/when you get a challenge correct, you get your timeout back and thus is no negative effect on your remaining challenges. I have never understood the "OK, we were wrong on the first 2 and you caught us, here is a 3rd challenge, but that is your last, even if we are wrong again."

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
maybe find a player before the draft.
Like the kicker that did the 64 yard FG a few weeks back?
Yup. I was watching a game yesterday and the QB got leveled on the sideline. Not a penalty because he was traveling N--->S, as opposed to E---> W. Basically, he was still trying to still gain yards and the defender should not have been penalized for knowing if his feet were inbounds or out.
Probably talking about the same play but the defender knew he was OOB because he had been blocked there before he launched into the QB.
While I agree that a coach should be able to challenge anything, I don't agree with limiting it to just 1 challenge per game. What I would like to see is that you can use a timeout for a challenge (3 per half). If you are out of timeouts, you cannot challenge. However, if/when you get a challenge correct, you get your timeout back and thus is no negative effect on your remaining challenges. I have never understood the "OK, we were wrong on the first 2 and you caught us, here is a 3rd challenge, but that is your last, even if we are wrong again."
I think it should be 2 wrong challenges for the game. If you get the first four in your favor, you can still challenge as if you had not challenged yet, assuming you have the TO's.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Like the kicker that did the 64 yard FG a few weeks back?

Probably talking about the same play but the defender knew he was OOB because he had been blocked there before he launched into the QB.

I think it should be 2 wrong challenges for the game. If you get the first four in your favor, you can still challenge as if you had not challenged yet, assuming you have the TO's.
I'd be fine with that or with any TO can be a challenge. I would guess that there are more than 2-3 controversial plays per team per game, why not allow a challenge, that costs you a TO if you are wrong?

I could be wrong, but it appeared that in the UFL game I was watching, the ref "in the booth" was trying to correct or confirm calls as they happened, with no official challenge being made by a coach? For me THAT is the proper way to run a game, eyes in the sky. Then the number of actual coaches challenges could be reduced.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tried watching a game. San Antonio was playing. I thought...... maybe....... Nah! Didn't work. I turned it off and went in and took a nap.

I guess it's just not my cup of tea.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I tried watching a game. San Antonio was playing. I thought...... maybe....... Nah! Didn't work. I turned it off and went in and took a nap.

I guess it's just not my cup of tea.
I watched what amounted to about a quarter of a football game, spread over 2 different UFL games. I liken it to watching a college football game between 2 teams that I have zero interest in, which is most college teams. Not bad play, not terrible football, so maybe a pure fan of football, no matter the teams playing, might enjoy it.

Much like minor league baseball, hockey and basketball either the fans are just diehard fans of that sport or a professional team of that sport is new to their area. If the UFL had a team, "The Green Bay Curds", would that garner a lot of fans from GB?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do like Canadian football. A wide open game. I got into it while stationed in Montana, when I was in the military. It was great. Montana was "Packer country" in those days. Before the Vikings, and even after the Vikings came in, we got the Packer games every Sunday. On other days, we'd get the CFL games. Weekends were fantastic. Enjoying Packer games, Saskatchewan Rough Rider games, and college football galore.

Outside of drinking, watching football was the best option. Mix in playing handball on days with no games, and hitting a field and playing flag football. During the winter, we mixed in bowling during the week. I wish we had a softball field, or baseball, but we didn't. Too much work to keep it up they said.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've watched it when there was nothing else on. It's kind of interesting but with any sport if I'm not familiar with the players or the team it's hard to hold my interest.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I devote a good portion of my fall and early winter to football. My wife tolerates it (sometimes joins) and my daughter doesn't understand it. I can't spend the rest of the year watching football. There's too much fun to be had outside when the outdoors turns green again each spring.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I do like Canadian football. A wide open game.
I remember Australian Rules Football being on a Network every Sunday and I took a shine to it. Never did watch enough of it, to understand the rules, but always seemed like a cross between Rugy, Soccer and Football. I especially love the refs signal whether it is 1 or 2 points.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember Australian Rules Football being on a Network every Sunday and I took a shine to it. Never did watch enough of it, to understand the rules, but always seemed like a cross between Rugy, Soccer and Football. I especially love the refs signal whether it is 1 or 2 points.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I like that too to be honest. I still watch it at times. I get their games direct from Australian TV.

Latest posts