Day1 - Predict what position GB picks...

What position does GB pick Day1?

• Interior DL

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cornerback (not inclusive of DeJean)

• Safety (inclusive of DeJean)

• Safety (not inclusive of DeJean)

• Wide Receiver

• Running Back

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here we go...little forum fun prediction poll. What position do you predict Gute has Goodell read out loud on Day1. For this exercise QB, TE and no pick at all are not an option.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
My gut has been Edgerrin Cooper for a while now. And the more familiar I become with him, the more I'm ok with the idea.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I originally hoped they could get him at 58. I now believe they would have to use pick #41. If they miss out on him I could live with Colson.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I originally hoped they could get him at 58. I now believe they would have to use pick #41. If they miss out on him I could live with Colson.

The consensus board has him at #42, but there are particular rankers who are quite a bit above that.

Jeremiah, for instance, has him at #26.

Without having the time or know-how to carefully and meticulously break down all these linebackers, it does seem to be that Cooper is the top prospect in this class by a really big margin. The class itself is not very good, which puts a premium on the guys who are. I also see the logic that a desire for more man coverage means you need linebackers capable of matching tight ends and running backs in single coverage, which elevates the importance of the position.

Nothing will surprise me, including pick #25.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My gut has been Edgerrin Cooper for a while now. And the more familiar I become with him, the more I'm ok with the idea.

I do believe out of Wilson, Colson, Trotter and Cooper ONLY Cooper is the type of profile which I think Gute would place high enough value on taking Day1 or at 41. Wilson has too many flags, Colson is older and hasn't tested, and Trotter is truthfully not the athlete or size Gute likes.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The consensus board has him at #42, but there are particular rankers who are quite a bit above that.

Jeremiah, for instance, has him at #26.

Without having the time or know-how to carefully and meticulously break down all these linebackers, it does seem to be that Cooper is the top prospect in this class by a really big margin. The class itself is not very good, which puts a premium on the guys who are. I also see the logic that a desire for more man coverage means you need linebackers capable of matching tight ends and running backs in single coverage, which elevates the importance of the position.

Nothing will surprise me, including pick #25.

I know it is a Day1 thread but the weakness of this class is why I feel Cedric Gray or Trevin Wallace just might be the shock off ball pick of the second round.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I do believe out of Wilson, Colson, Trotter and Cooper ONLY Cooper is the type of profile which I think Gute would place high enough value on taking Day1 or at 41. Wilson has too many flags, Colson is older and hasn't tested, and Trotter is truthfully not the athlete or size Gute likes.

I agree except to say that Colson is younger than Cooper. He's 21 and won't turn 22 until December. But he hasn't tested and we don't know if he's the type of athlete they would covet.

They may just really love and trust McDuffie, but even at that, McDuffie is in a contract season. It does seem like linebacker has become something of a differentiator for great defenses, mainly because there just isn't much supply out there-- the college game isn't producing a lot of great linebackers.

If you look at the top 3 scoring defenses last year, you have:

Baltimore: Elite tandem of Roquan Smith and Patrick Queen
San Francisco: Elite tandem of Fred Warner and Dre Greenlaw
Kansas City: Four players who saw legit snaps-- Willie Gay (2nd rounder), Nick Bolton (2nd rounder), Leo Chenal (3rd rounder), and Drue Tranquill (FA signing)

I can see the logic of it. If you're LB play is terrible, it's easy for offenses to find answers even if other aspects of your defense is legit.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO unless Gute has something in the works FA or trade wise, they need to draft 2 LBs. For me Cooper, Colson and Gray are day 2 guys. Day 3 Wallace, Jacobs, Ulofoshio, Ford, Magee, Knight and Hooper could be options IMO.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree except to say that Colson is younger than Cooper. He's 21 and won't turn 22 until December. But he hasn't tested and we don't know if he's the type of athlete they would covet.

They may just really love and trust McDuffie, but even at that, McDuffie is in a contract season. It does seem like linebacker has become something of a differentiator for great defenses, mainly because there just isn't much supply out there-- the college game isn't producing a lot of great linebackers.

If you look at the top 3 scoring defenses last year, you have:

Baltimore: Elite tandem of Roquan Smith and Patrick Queen
San Francisco: Elite tandem of Fred Warner and Dre Greenlaw
Kansas City: Four players who saw legit snaps-- Willie Gay (2nd rounder), Nick Bolton (2nd rounder), Leo Chenal (3rd rounder), and Drue Tranquill (FA signing)

I can see the logic of it. If you're LB play is terrible, it's easy for offenses to find answers even if other aspects of your defense is legit.

I got Colson mixed up with Liafu for who knows why. You’re correct on all of this.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm expecting him to trade out of day 1 because there won't be anyone left on his board that matches value.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm expecting him to trade out of day 1 because there won't be anyone left on his board that matches value.
There is a massive likelihood of this IMO as well. Look for trade back and then maybe a time or two trade ups in Day2 where more value exists

edensmage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys, I'm extremely torn on the CB's as I continue to do some scouting. Curious of your thoughts:

QMitch - I don't think I have much doubt here. I think his only question was competition level and he answered that at the senior bowl. Likely my #1 and not likely to be available for us.
TArnold - many seem to have him quite high but I don't know that I'm completely sold. Not sure if I'm letting the 40 time throw me but doesn't seem like the kind of pick Gute would go after at 25.
Nate Wig - Probably my #2, if not #1. Love his tape but of course his thin profile/weight is a concern and could possibly knock him down Gute's board. Is he someone you would take over DeJean?
CoopDeJean - I still like him as a safety but would give him a shot at CB. My concern is, I'm on the boat of needing another CB so if we take him early, while there are some options I don't feel like there are many that can play well across from Ja - or replace him when he gets injured. Because of this I'm not super sure where I like him in my rankings - although very comfortable taking him at 25
Kool-Aid - I've been a fan of this kid from the start and since he's sub 4.5 I would think he's still in contention for 1st rounder, but not sure it's good enough for Gute. Does contribute on ST but thats not usually something you're as concerned with for a 1st rounder. When it starts getting into his value vs. someone like Barton or Edge Cooper, I'd have a hard time making a decision.

The reason I'm stressing a bit about this is because I'm seeing more and more that Nate, DeJean, and KA are available so I've been trying to decide how this board would possibly play out...

Last edited:

edensmage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup.

edensmage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also for a slight "gut(e)" check of whether Edge might be a via round 1, here are some stats to compare with Quay who was taken near where we are now at 25.

Quay:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Edgerrin:

Obviously Quay is a bit bigger, but they both are comparable in many areas. The one argument I believe could be made is the 3-cone. I know the 3-cone offers a strong correlation for success in the NFL for LB's but I'm not sure if that is as strong for ILB as it is for OLB.
Ultimately Edge's tape is better and more complete too. Quay had the physical tools but they knew he was going to be a project with only 1 true year under his belt.

Bottom line - I think there's a sound chance we take Edge with 25 if one of the top tier CB's or OT's don't fall.

Adding Payton good measure:

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sure seems to be a lot of rumors/reports about Packers trading up. I really don't want them to. Just fine with them getting 5 top 100 players instead of jumping to mid teens just to grab an offensive lineman and loose a 2nd in the process. I'm guessing OL in the 1st (my dark horse is a WR in the 1st) If after the 1st 3 rounds they grab 2 OL, maybe Cooper with the 1st 2nd, a safety in the 2nd, a RB in the 3rd and another OL pick in the 3rd, I'd be happy with that.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they traded up for Q, Arnold, Wiggins I’m all on board. Or if they target Verse if he falls some.

Reaction score
Sure seems to be a lot of rumors/reports about Packers trading up. I really don't want them to. Just fine with them getting 5 top 100 players instead of jumping to mid teens just to grab an offensive lineman and loose a 2nd in the process. I'm guessing OL in the 1st (my dark horse is a WR in the 1st) If after the 1st 3 rounds they grab 2 OL, maybe Cooper with the 1st 2nd, a safety in the 2nd, a RB in the 3rd and another OL pick in the 3rd, I'd be happy with that.
I can see this.
However on the flip side that trade concept might pair a little with several other ideas we’ve each presented.
Knowing the areas where there are substantially better rated players might be one key. Brian might be thinking he’s safe getting a good starter at #16 etc.. possibly? A top ~10-12 area selection falls into our lap in other scenarios. I can see a very possible scenario where
4 QB’s
3 WR’s
1 TE
1-2 Edge
2-3 OT
1-2 CB’s

Depending we could be staring at one of the top 2-3 players at a variety of positions in all of college football.
2nd/3rd best OT
2nd best CB
2nd best Edge
That’s really an option to bring aboard what could be an instant starter

Then you go out and sign 1 more good FA and hit that draft good..? it could get real interesting.

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO they should stay put. On the flip side of your flip side, I see 5 QBs, 4 WRs, a TE, an IDL plus a IOL going before 25. All positions that are not top Pack needs IMO. The top 5 OT should go, the top 3 edges & the top 4 CBs IMO. I am not saying I know any of this for sure, just message board speculation. If trades are made or picks are no where near this Gute can adapt. In my hypothetical scenario that would leave Gute with the choice of Kool Aid, Mims or Chop.

edensmage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would definitely prefer this because I see a ton of value in the 2nd-3rd round. However, I'm seeing more often now that DeJean and Wiggins are falling. It's possible one of those guys would be a viable option. I know Wiggins is much lighter than they usually prefer but I think his skill set is right there with Ja's. He's also only 20 yrs old so he has some time to still fill out his frame a bit.

Members online